Jarratts Buildings - The People
It is not obvious from the census just how many family links were in existence at Jarratts by this time because women changed their surname on marriage, perhaps more than once. Some groups were already decades old whilst others appear to have existed for a few years and then declined as people moved from the site. One factor underlying this was the development of miners’ housing by other local collieries. These included Swaithe Cottages, Edmunds Row and a large estate of terraced houses in Worsborough Bridge which was known as New England. They were subject to more rigorous building standards and, as such, provided better accommodation than Jarratts which was thirty years old, and apparently not well maintained by its landlord.
As a consequence, the sons of Jarratts families who made the grade as coal hewers began to drift away from the Edmunds Main Colliery and Jarratts. They took jobs with Barrow Colliery and moved to the more modern houses with their own wives and families. This may have intensified some of the longer-standing family networks at Jarratts by making it easier for the relatives of those who remained to get a tenancy. It probably also marked the point at which living at Jarratts began to be associated with social disadvantage.
The extended Winder family now had links to five houses.
At No 3 was William Winder and his wife Martha (nee Columbine). William was the nephew of the four Winder siblings who had lived on the site in 1861. William’s cousin, Augusta Brannon, still lived at No 21 with her husband, Thomas, and four children. At No 25 was another cousin, Arthur Booth, his wife Mary (nee Thompson) ten children and Arthur’s now elderly mother, Susan Christopher. John Gawthorpe, who lived at No 46 with his wife Annie, (nee McQuillan) was also a cousin. Three houses along the row, at No 49, were Annie’s parents, James and Catherine (nee Wildsmith) and seven children. Probably as a practicality for making the best use of limited space, Annie’s brother Thomas lived with the Gawthorpes and their young family.
- John Booth 1820-184? 1844 to 184? Susan Winder 1825-1913
- Arthur Booth 1844-1912 1874 to 1903 Mary Thompson 1853-1903
- Walter Thompson 1874-????
- Albert Booth 1875-1952
- Alice Booth 1881-1955
- Lizze Booth 1877-1923
- Seven others
Although the Whiteley surname was no longer represented on the census as head of household, several linked families were clustered on the site. Widowed Eliza Cauldwell was still the tenant of No 26, supported by her children. Her sister Mary Padgett (nee Rodgers, then Kilner), who had been widowed for a second time, had now returned to Jarratts and lived at No 5. Ann Pickering, who was probably the aunt of Eliza and Mary, still lived at No 50 with her husband Jacob, their son, daughter-in-law and grandchildren.
Next door to Eliza Cauldwell, at No 27, was her cousin Elizabeth Davis, her husband James and a nephew the couple appear to have adopted informally. At No 22, Elizabeth’s sister, Mary Ann, still cohabited with Thomas Prescott. Maria, the widow of Elizabeth’s brother, James Whiteley, was now married to John Taylor and lived at No 35 with children from both of their first marriages and a child of their own. Living at No 24 was John’s father George Swift with his second wife, Ellen (previously McDonald) and at No 47 was Samuel Swift and his wife Annie (nee Howson). Annie appears to be the daughter of Jane Howson who lived at No 40 and the cousin of Squire Howson at No 48.
Almost certainly related to Ellen Swift was William McDonald, his wife Sarah, two adult sons, daughter, daughter-in-law and a grandchild who still lived at No 29. Next door at No 28 was their eldest daughter, Mary, her husband Thomas Broderick, and three young children.
The Glover family occupied two adjacent houses, Nos 14 and 15. Elderly Robert and Ann remained at No 15, supported by an unmarried son. Their son-in-law Tom Bowring had obtained the tenancy of No 14 and lived there with wife Caroline and John Glover, a retired miner who appears to be Robert’s brother.
The Beevers family had just two houses at this point. Thomas, now an elderly widower had moved to No 9 with his daugher Alice, son-in-law William Hadfield and grandchildren. Samuel and Agnes Beevers remained at No 31.
New arrivals at Jarratts were the Stanleys, who had previously lived close to the site. Charles Stanley at No 8 had married Mary Ann Richardson, who appears to be a widow. Charles was the son of Mary Stanley, a widow, who lodged at No 1 with David Gravil who appears to have been cohabiting with Mary's daughter Aminda Stanley. Catherine Stanley, who was Mary’s widowed daughter-in-law, was at No 19 which was occupied by Peter and Ellen Kelly. Catherine was cohabiting with Peter’s nephew John Finan, who had moved in with four boys from his first marriage. In addition, he now had children with Catherine, who also had a son from her marriage.
George and Mary Ann Hobson (nee Shepherd, then Bennett) remained at No 23. The Bennett’s were an established Worsborough family and at No 4 was elderly Charles Bennett, his wife Mary Ann and five adult or teenage children. It is probable that the family was related in some way to Mary Ann’s first husband.
At No 38 was a young couple John Holt and wife Jane (nee Kilburn). Jane’s parents Abraham and Mary Ann (nee Powell) lived at No 41.
Two families called Lindley still lived at No 13 and No 20. As yet I have not been able to establish if they were related.
Other new arrivals in the period who remained at Jarratts for some years were the Cope, Fallis, Goodlad, Hammond and Hewitt families.
Only one property was vacant on census night. There was also a small Irish contingent developing on the site, mainly as lodgers.